Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Almost Two Weeks Now

Apart, that is. My mom and dad.

Mom's healing process is so glacially slow that it's like watching an inchworm pinch upward from the down-end of a teeter totter to the end that's in the air, then try to push with all his might to get it to teeter. Or would that be totter?

It's likely that she'll have to have this back surgery where a neurosurgeon injects a kind of "cement" between the compressed vertabrae in order to spread them out again. From what I've read, it's becoming pretty common. But...yow!

Whatever she needs, we'll get through it. When our family circles the wagons, we're pretty tough.

On another topic, my grades are done!!! This means I can now look at the list of things I need to do during the 27 days left on my semester break, and become overwhelmed, and do a little woe-is-me dance, then recover, then start to check off the things that I can manage to do (since I have no magic healing wand to help my mom), including:

1. Find yet-unfound box of winter hats and scarves I haven't seen since we left Phoenix.
2. Make a dent in the revisions for the yet-unwritten book I worked on all last summer.
3. Watch some yet-unwatched DVDs with Scott.
4. Go back to the gym I joined and and add some variety to this yet-unvaried elliptical boredom.
5. Finish Christmas letter and email it.
6. Write recommendation letters for three students who annoy me more each day.
7. Resolve never to write another recommendation letter.
8. Make sense of this flurry of words I'm lost in, in about 9 writing projects.
9. Pray more without any words.
10. Stop being so obsessively connected to lists.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger Carole said…

    Very poignant and beautiful entry here. I have to tell you that I was just shopping at the Bookstore and a very nice gentleman came to my assistance. I had purchased a glass paperweight and, being the display model, had significant smudging. The gift wrapping station didn't have Windex so I was directed to the service desk and this nice gentleman brought a bottle of Windex over and started cleaning the piece. We were chatting among one another and he mentioned that he had moved to C-U from Phoenix and his wife teaches here. Oh, and his name is Scott. I blurted out that I read his wife's blog just this morning. He looked a bit startled and agreed that he was indeed married to the famous Candy Rant. What a lovely small world this is. Be assured that I am normal and not a stalker ... just an avid reader of your blog and an admirer of your candor and literary skills. Merry Christmas!

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Carole,
    Scott called me a little while ago and told me the story. We both got such a kick out of it. I said "That is SO weird!" and he said "Tell me about it! She knew what I'd said about the cockroaches!" :)

    I am still in post-grading crash mode and crawled out of bed at 1:30, after thoroughly abusing my snooze alarm. This was such a cool thing to hear. So glad you're an avid reader and that you ran into Scott. As you can tell by my latest posts, a little happy news is very welcome!

    Merry Christmas, Carole!

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Blogger L said…

    Hey Candy, Just catching up on the blogroll, and just read about your mom. I'm so sorry she's been in pain, but I know how much she appreciates your love and care.

    <3

     

Post a Comment

<< Home