Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Monday, December 13, 2010

OK, We Got Through Monday




Tossed out the pain pills that made Mom hurl, and now we've started the Motrin/Tylenol/Motrin pattern along with some giant Lidocaine patches on her back. I'm doubtful that these will help, since they're not exactly made for broken-bone pain. The pain is still the struggle. She yelps from the sharpness of it when she does anything much more than walk slowly. Getting into and out of bed is tough.

Trying to keep her out of bed for at least a couple hours a day in order to avoid pneumonia. I'm happy to say that today she sat in a chair and watched "Dr. Phil" with me. There was a married couple with two heinously awful, screaming, abusive-to-people-and-animals kids. You have never heard such screaming. Total spawns of jackal-demons, these boys. I've never seen/heard anything like them. The mother was clueless and deeply annoying in a Stepford way, and the father was beefy and sweating and crying over his sons.

Mom felt well enough to say "Look at that crybaby. If he had any backbone he'd line those kids out!"

Yes. One small step back.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:35 PM, Anonymous MightyMighty said…

    What does "line them out" mean? Spankings?

    I can't stand parents like that! I get emails from parents who insist that if I don't let their child make up an assignment they simply opted not to do, six weeks earlier, it will crush their child. Who obviously doesn't care.

    Do your kids a favor and let them experience the natural consequences of slacking.

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    In my childhood home it would've meant a spanking and a definite show verbally of who's boss. I know it's a very loaded subject and I don't get a vote at all since I don't have kids. But it worked on me.

    Yeah, I'm a big fan of "'natural consequences." Thank God I don't have to deal with parents. Yet. That'll be next, no doubt.

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger laurazim said…

    ....these people need to have weekly beatings. ;)

    This would be our family joke. Thursday is Beating Day. Line 'em up and go to it.

    Seriously, though--we have had to spank each of our kids *maybe* once each. It can be terribly effective when it is used wisely. We also require very particular things of our children as far as household chores, respectful words and tones toward their parents and one another (and *OF COURSE* other adults), and generally civilized behavior.

    Is it really that difficult for some people to get? Sheesh, if I can do it with five kids (and one coming in February...), then why the HECK can't some parents do it with one or two??

    Mind boggling. Truely.

    Praying for your mom to mend...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home