Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Thursday, December 16, 2010

House Call, Grading, Drugs




My mom's wonderful and very understanding doctor came to see her today and stayed 45 minutes. God bless him.

It is his opinion that she has compression fractures in her back. These are not something that can be detected on the X-ray. But they are the reason for the agony. Basically, this means that her vertabrae are smooshed together. Not good.

New drugs were prescribed. A different pain patch, one that lasts three days and is an opiate. That, along with half a Vicodin and, if needed, an anti-nausea pill. All the Motrin and Tylenol have been ditched because of bleeding in her stomach.

My brain is inventorying all this as fast as it can, trying to take the Legos of obsessive worrying and build at least something quaint, maybe a fountain in the shape of a moose. He can spew out a stream of water under which I will place all these final portfolios from my students. They will be soggy and meaningless and ungradeable. This will be a pity.

Is there anything in the world more frustrating than knowing someone you love is in pain?

3 Comments:

  • At 1:46 AM, Blogger Citlali said…

    No. It leaves me wondering if anyone around you that's willing to help knows Reiki. That could help some if done enough and it might help you too. Not sure why that came to mind immediately. Just seemed like it needed to be mentioned. Wish I was there too. BIG hugs. xxoo = ]

    ps: the word verification on this post is "jubbulne". Isn't that awesome? = ]

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger laurazim said…

    Candy....I am so sorry to know this latest development. I remember the agony of sitting at my dad's side, seeing him suffer, and knowing that there was nothing more we could do for him than we were already doing.

    I hope and pray that there is something that can give your sweet Mama some relief, and that you are able to see her happy and comfortable...and soon. {{{{bighugs}}}}

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger MamaMidwife said…

    Nothing worse. At. All.

    ((((big hugs)))

    Love ya. Praying for mom.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home