Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dude


I've never been a fan of peace signs. Even in the '70s. They just seem so...cheesy. I'm even less fond of people forming the groovy 2-fingered one. Show me an oily Ashton Kutchner or a pretentious Olsen twin shooting one of those at the crowds of snapping cameras, and I know I'm capable of homicide.

That said, Friday was a rotten day for me. Various reasons. The final one? A flat tire. And even though AAA changed it, free of charge, and then the tire place fixed the tire, free of charge, the process had been the icing on the big ugly cake that was Friday.

In the evening, Scott offered me the distraction of a cool Mexican restaurant called Two Hippies Beach House. He'd been there a couple times for lunch, but I had yet to see it. A tiny little place, built just like a seaside shack where you walk up to the window and order and then head back to your blanket with your coconut smelling sunburn. Seating is outside under an awning, and running all around the seating area is a flower box, filled with plants which are intermingled with hundreds of little drink umbrellas AND the occasional vintage Matchbox car.

The food could've been hardtack soaked in raccoon urine, and I'd have been happy just because of the ambience. But the food was great. Big fat delicious tacos for $1.50 each. I got the vegetarian with beans, cheese, onions, tomatoes, cabbage, salsa, avocado and more salsa. Scott got the beef. We got 4 tacos, some chips and salsa, and split a bottle of water and it was TEN DOLLARS.

It was a very good distraction from my neon misery quotient that day. And even this hardened, peace-signs-are-lame chick had to go back for a cupcake. I only saw that the icing was pink. I didn't see the design until I left the place. First peace sign ever to make me happy. And then I chewed its face off.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To me, the "peace sign" is more gratifying when the hand is turned around 180 degrees with the index finger firmly held down by the thumb - an answer to cosmic chaos with a taquito singularity. Or something...

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    This will shock you, JWebb, but I am actually a little better at doing that kind vs. the regular peace sign.

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Citlali said…

    I'm glad your day ended well. It sucks when the universe converges on a bad vibe just on your exact location, no? yeah. lots of hugs. = ]

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm going to make cupcakes like that for Thanksgiving/J's birthday! Thanks for the inspiration!

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The strange runic figure on your cupcake jogged my memory. After consulting with various astrologers, shamans, wizards, card-tossers, and entrail readers, I confirmed that the figure was indeed the ancient Aztec Emetic Curse. The consumer of such a cupcake will soon find him/herself wandering dazed in the Sonora Desert hopelessly in search of a life-sustaining dose of Imodium AD. Good luck kiddo—your Friday has not yet ended. (And lay off the Olson Twins. They’re adorable.)

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger Jerry said…

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:USVietPeace.JPG

    A lot of people paid dearly for expressing themselves with this symbol.

    There are 3 dead men that I knew who wore this amulet into combat.

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Jerry, if a man or woman in the military were wearing this symbol, in or out of combat, I would totally respect it.

    You have to remember that your context for the peace sign and mine are very different.

    You associate it with your friends who fell in battle; I associate it with the places I saw it: in high school, on tie-dyed T-shirts, decalled on the back of jacked-up Camaros (my least favorite car ever) and worn around the necks of vapid celebreties who have, in my view, never sacrificed much of anything for anyone. (My own opinion, of course.)

    The cheesiness and downright annoyance most potently arrives, for me, when it is thrust in my face by those who are AGAINST anything in the way of an American military force. (And usually thrust forth by someone who is most anxious to shoot their mouth off about the imperialistic pigs who are protecting their right to be shooting their mouth off.)

    So. The symbol means different things to different people.

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Tony, it is getting nearly impossible to find a good entrail reader. Leave it to you, in the Big Apple, to locate one.

    I'll lay off the Olsen Twins. They're all yours.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home