Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Very Very Very Out of My Element

Today I spoke to someone from the Disney Cruise Line Human Resources office. One of my former students had applied for a job there, something to do with working with children, and she put me down as a reference. I'm very happy that they seem to want to hire her, and did all I could to further the cause.

It would take a good long while for me to think of a job that would be more vastly outside of my personal circle of interests. A cruise ship, saturated with Disney logos/characters/singsong-ery, flung into the ocean and filled with activities. And groups of children chirping, jumping around, crying, fighting, throwing things overboard, complaining. There are definitely children in my life that I really like. Groups of the children of strangers, no. Being trapped on a Disney voyage with them, God no.

When the phone call was over, Ashley of the Disney HR said, "Have a magical day!" Glitter fell out of my phone.


2 Comments:

  • At 3:59 PM, Blogger Jerry said…

    Welcome back! I wondered where you were and why you left. Glad you finally decided to try writing. I've thumbed through some of the "best sellers" and found them to be poorly written salacious trash; a literate person could do no worse.

    I think the trick is to find a story worth telling. Then it all comes together. Glad to see you back in print.

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Wow! What a treat to see you here! It's been awhile. Yep, I dropped out of sight after my dad died. Needed to get the wind back in the sails.

    I agree about the best sellers. Even most of the nonfiction stuff has gone to the dogs.

    Hope things are going well with you! Always enjoyed your writing and your presence. Thanks for commenting. I'm sitting here banging my head against the wall trying to finish a section of writing that is not going so well today. Gotta keep at it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home