Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Today's Workout

I spent hours writing yesterday (working on poems), so I was ready for something else today. Something physical. Our garage. Since we moved back to the midwest from Phoenix 4 years ago, I have not been able to locate my "good" jewelry. Not the Hope Diamond, but things holding lots of big fat sentimental value to me. Why couldn't I find it? Because our garage is filled with boxes. Probably 200 or so. Our house in Phoenix was almost 3 times the size of this one, and all the too-much-ness of my crap (It's mine, not Scott's. Scott is reasonable.) took up residence in the garage. About half of it is books. I've messed with the overload here and there, stewed about my lost jewelry, hoped it was in this bursting house somewhere. Today, on about the 60th box, I found it. I was stunned. There it all was, in its lucite box, inside a moving box that had never been opened since we got here. It was labelled "Last Minute Living Room Stuff." Yeah, that's how my packing went. The most important find: the diamond earrings that Scott had custom-made for me in Phoenix. There is a lesson to be learned here about being a good steward of our possessions. I hope I'm finally going to learn it. It's a lesson I've trampled on many times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home