Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Friday, June 14, 2013

I've Never Heard Screaming Like I Heard in Walmart Today

A boy kid, about 3 years old. His mother (I assume), nicely dressed, pushing the shopping cart he was sitting in. A girl, about 6, following along. People were coming from all over the store to see what the bloody good night was going on. I can't adequately describe the screams. They were about one second long, constant, 15 or 20 in a row. Then started up again. The sound was like a mixture of a Homer Simpson scream and that nasally alarm that goes off inside a submarine (a submarine in the movies) when it's taking on water. The mother was completely ignoring him, perhaps to prove a point, perhaps because she despises his father so much that this was recreation for her. I could tell that I wasn't the only one who was itching to get my hands on this kid. And the mother. Yes, I'm a judgmental human being, especially when the screaming never stops. And the creepy part was the look on this boy's face. He'd fake-cry and then look at her, and, getting no reaction, would start up the hell-machine again. That is some serious manipulation effort right there. I bought my mini-pads and potato chips and ran out the front door like the place was on fire.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Jerry said…

    She was trying to extinguish the crying behavior - which she had obviously reinforced at some point.

    Behavior like this is extremely hard to extinguish because of the embarrassment factor.

    I know how to stop it faster, but the method is politically incorrect in today's culture.

    If I had screamed like that, my mother would just have said:"When we get home, I going to tell your father how you behaved."

    That would be the end of that.

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Most definitely! My mom would have made very quick work of me, too, had I done that.

    I'm sure I'm thinking of the same politically incorrect method that you are.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home