Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Positive News from the Neurosurgeon




First, he's a real person. He's kind and attentive and funny and engaging and has an impeccable reputation. In other words, the opposite of Dr. Surly Got-My-Degree-From-Heehaw-Online-College we saw 2 weeks back.

The good doctor's advice: No surgery for mom just yet. He suggested that she wait a month and come back to him, to see how much better she was feeling, and his guess is that Mom is about halfway there. His own mother had compression fractures in some vertebrae awhile back and she was in agony. She couldn't have surgery because of all the other health complications she had. And even she healed completely from the back pain in 4 months. So, we'll see. And we'll pray.

(We did find out that of the three compression fractures, only one is a new injury. Thus, the other two would not be candidates for the cement-injection surgery anyway.)

Another other-end-of-the-spectrum experience at this doctor's office: We got into an exam room ten minutes early, and the doctor entered the room five minutes later.

AND, while we were in the waiting room, a patient of his had come out, a pretty blond in her 40s, turned to all of us in the waiting room and said "Just so you know, Dr. _____ is the best surgeon there is. I had 9-hour back surgery, with rods and pins and the whole works, and I have not had a single problem since."

I've never seen anyone do that before. It was just more confirmation that we had come to the right guy.

We got to ask all our questions, we got to go into another room with him and see the MRI results for ourselves, and my mom was so comfortable with this surgeon that she had to tell him her favorite joke before we left.

"She's going to do stand-up in the Catskills one day," I told the doctor.

When he first entered the room and saw my mom and looked down at her information sheet, he said "You are one good lookin' 88-year-old!" My sister said "Everybody says that, but she never believes it."

I wish I could put a photo of my mom here. She is beautiful. Perfect, peachy skin and an electric smile. I am so grateful for her.

And thank God for talented doctors with abundant smarts and personality.

10 Comments:

  • At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Jackie O. said…

    Now we're cookin' with gas! This news makes me so happy, Candy. You and I are both blessed with outrageously wonderful mothers.

    P.S. Any chance you'll tell me your mom's favorite joke?

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    I'll paraphrase, since Mom tells it better:

    A little second-grade girl comes home from school and tells her mom, "Mommy, the boys keep asking me to do cartwheels at recess." The mother says "Honey, you know they only ask you to do cartwheels because they want to see your underpants." The girl says "Oh I know. That's why I keep those in my backpack!"

    This joke just kills her. Me, I'm more about jokes like this:

    A skeleton walks into a bar and orders a beer and a mop.

     
  • At 7:10 AM, Blogger Citlali said…

    I'm so freaken happy for you. What a relief. Postponing surgery is an awesome concept even after hearing from blondie about the miracles of this great surgeon. I'm glad for that too though. It's the best kind of reassurance to hear it straight from the people who've been there. There's a lot of scary surgeons and surgeries out there so this is looking better and better. I'm so glad. You give her as big a hug as she can handle for me. You and everyone else you want to share with as well. xxoo = ]

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so glad it went well! Sort of renews your belief that there are good doctors out there. They are sometimes just very hard to find!!

    The Rabbit

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger laurazim said…

    Oh Candy, I am ~*~THRILLED~*~ to read this update!!! What great news for your mom--for your dad, and for you, too!!

    I'll definitely keep praying for her continued improvement, for your peace of mind, and for her to be able to resume her daily visits with the Love of her Life.

    Those jokes, by the way, are priceless...

    {{{Big hugs}}} to all of you!

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's soooooo good that you didn't settle for Doctor Quack. It really pays to search for the right doctor with skills and empathy. So glad you found this one. A good relationship like this may just give your mom the boost in spirit she needs without surgery. And by the way, your mom does defy the decription of 88-yr-old. She's a beauty in addition to being the Jokemeister. --S

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Monique in TX said…

    I'm so glad. Nothing is worse than poor back surgery or treatment, and nothing is better than a good back surgeon!

    The jokes are great, BTW. Both of them.

     
  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger MamaMidwife said…

    I *lurve* the jokes!! Your mom is one funny lady.

    I am glad you met this wonderful doctor.

    I still keep thinking "Massengil" and cracking up internally. My kids are asking me why I am laughing. :)

     
  • At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Candy, I stumbled over here thru a fb friend but just wanted to say Bless your mom and you! My mom is 85 and had polio as a child. She has several compression fractures in her spine and about 2 years ago, her doctor put her on a drug called Kadian. It's a morphine derivative and mom was horrified she'd become a "Junkie" but it manages her pain great, lets her relax but doesn't overmedicate her.

    And, as far as her becoming a junkie...well, about 6 times or so a monrh she forgets to take her pill.
    Might help your mom too?

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Hi "Anonymous"...

    Thanks for stopping by, and for the info on Kadian. Not sure if my mom could take it because she's wildly allergic to morphine. But maybe she could tolerate it.

    Wondering if your mom ever considered the "cement" injection between her vertebrae?

    Appreciate the info! Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home