Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Challenge of a Schedule

About 3 years ago, I started working on a book about my dad. This summer, I'm determined to finish it. I keep reading this stuff that says I should treat my writing like a real job. Get up, get dressed, show up, be on time, be disciplined. That's not working for me. I get up late, slide into my day in slow motion, and start writing around 2:30. That gives me three hours before Scott gets home from work. A guy I used to know (he was my pastor) who is a best-selling author has had lung cancer for several years. He's now working with the capacity of one half of one lung. And he STILL writes 6-8 hours a day. How can anyone have an excuse if he's doing this? It's been so long since I've blogged that I can barely figure out how to post stuff. Bear with me. Nobody's reading this anymore, so I'll just Candy it up for awhile. Candy, you've got 40,000 words done. Keep at it. Finish this book. You don't know exactly why you're writing it, but do it anyhow. Get it off your back.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger participant-observer said…

    You can do it. I know it will be great! Keep up the good work. As a prolific academic I know once told me, "All you have to do is put butt in chair."

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    So great to hear from you, p-o! Thanks for the supportive words. I definitely need the butt in the chair more, and only my Word document open. The internet is a cruel addiction.

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My wife was supposed to do a video book review for a woman. It was being done for free but she had promised to do it for her. It took her over a year. Other things just kept getting in the way. It bothered her she couldn't seem to get it done. She finally finished it in June. The lady was overjoyed with how it turned out. Hang in there.

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    I'm definitely hanging in there. I'm too far into the thing to let it go, AND it's emotionally kind of crucial for me to finish it. Thanks for the positive words!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home