Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Connection




I read a news story last week about a couple, ages 90 and 94, who had been married for 72 years. After a serious car accident they were taken to intensive care, put into beds close together, and died within an hour of one another.

"It was really strange, they were holding hands, and Dad stopped breathing, but I couldn't figure out what was going on because the heart monitor was still going," the couple's son, Dennis Yeager, told KCCI.com. "But we were like, 'he isn't breathing. How does he still have a heartbeat?' The nurse checked and said that's because they were holding hands and it's going through them. Her heart was beating through him and picking it up."

My brother sent the news story to my mom. I was afraid it would upset her, because if she'd had her choice, she and Dad would've left the planet together. Instead, she is still here, aching, loving him from afar in possibly the most extreme sense of that phrase.

But still, that heartbeat traveling from one to another seems a perfect metaphor for the way my parents love each other. Yes, present tense. I'm convinced that death doesn't stop that, in either direction.

Today would have been their 70th anniversary.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger Citlali said…

    I think about you often, Candy. was glad to get this alert about your blog. I too believe that love can be that true. No question.

    BIG hugs. = ] xx

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger E. said…

    Aww. Happy anniversary to your mom and dad. I know it's "'til death do us part," but I believe that they'll be together again before too long, and forever.

    I love the heartbeat story. Love is so amazing, and it doesn't die with age. It dies sometimes, sure, but not because of years gone by. There are those loves that just get stronger as the decades pass.

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Anonymous jenni said…

    Candy, it has been a long, long time since I visited; my own blog has lain fallow off and on through the past couple of years. However, I have thought of you and your gift for words and the tender way you always wrote about your Daddy...I am sad to come and find that he has gone ahead of us now. Many hugs and prayers for you and your mama.

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger Jerry said…

    rsumings gDon't give up Candy; surely your motivation must be returning. We live in a vibrant, screamingly belligerent world of misfits and morons.

    Our death is immanent and we still like cupcakes. Grab a brownie and get back into the game. Maybe take a new tact and express your ire about the wealthy (the class I have striven to enter without the least success).

    We can still demonize them out of shear envy. Give it a go.

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful, Candy. I've missed you. Anita

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger Jerry said…

    What happened? Where did you go?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home