Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The New Semester Breathes Down Candy's Neck




I started working on my syllabusses last night. I hate the word "syllabi" because it sounds so idiotic. Like "rhinoceri." I choose the bigger, clunkier SYLLABUSSES with the extra "S" to make it even more lumbering. This word is like a big sweaty girl on a pogo stick. Boing boing boing. Ungainly, awkward, about to come into peril. In other words, it is exactly how I feel right now, hearing Fall Semester hurrying up behind me to push me over.

This is my twice a year gripe about starting school again. As always, I am grateful for the job, but detest the teaching. Not the teaching itself, but the ever-present nerves/stage-fright/gut-twist that I have each and every frakkin' time I step into a classroom. This is now year 15 teaching college. You'd think it would settle down by now. It doesn't.

There I will be, in the bathroom nearest the classroom, in a stall, trying to take deep breaths (not always the keenest idea in a bathroom), and telling myself "They can't stab you. Stop whining, you big pansy."

And then I walk into the room and they all stab me with big knives. Or they look at me when I walk in, which is just as bad.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:22 AM, Blogger MamaMidwife said…

    "And then I walk into the room and they all stab me with big knives. Or they look at me when I walk in, which is just as bad."

    Hahahahahaha!! That is just silly. Seriously.

    I also get weird/nervous about teaching, but I homeschool. Weird, I know.

    Although, I feel the same way when I teach a Hunter Safety Class. "What will they think of me? What if I do something wrong? What if they decide to pick up one of these guns and shoot me?" Then I remember, they don't know how to use the guns. Duh! That's why they are here.

    Good luck.

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    I can't believe you teach a Hunter Safety Class! Now THAT is some challenging teaching! They gots guns! Hopefully the bullets don't show up until graduation!

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger participant-observer said…

    Our university has a countdown until fall semester starts. I looked at it today, it's now less than thirty, where is my pogo stick?

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    The time is flying by, p-o. I'm already in despair. Bleh.

     
  • At 12:56 AM, Blogger FarmAndAway said…

    Okay, I think that you should take a page out of my book. I like to remind myself, "Seriously, I'm awesome." If need be, in the face of adversity, change this to, "What the hell? I'm awesome!" or "What's her problem? Can't be me, I'm awesome!"

    You are awesome. You're the reason I write, the reason I stayed in the major, the reason I'm married with a baby. You owe it to all of those chicas looking for their MRS, and for the guys who aren't looking for their MR but need it anyway, to keep teaching! Desperately lonely students need you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home