Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Sunday, July 28, 2013

The 1-Day Stay-cation

Scott just finished his summer class yesterday morning. It was an 8-week difficult bore for him. When I woke up this morning he was reading a book for brain candy. I'd left J.K. Rowling's Casual Vacancy out on the top of his stack of books for him to devour. It's OK, not great. Neither of us could get through more than about 60 pages of Harry Potter so we're not exactly fans, but I was curious about her first "adult" offering.

I'm a horribly slow reader, plus I read about a dozen books at a time, switching back and forth depending on my mood, so this Rowling book took me a month to finish. Scott read it all today. I hate him for this. And he retains what he reads, which is not usually the case with people who breeze through. Sickening.

It was a great Sunday. Lazing around, exceptional dinner (he grilled scallops outside, and corn on the cob) and then we had another insanely raucous reading date on the couch. My productivity was limited to doing dishes and laundry. I've totally backed off the writing of the book until Tuesday when I'll be meeting with a colleague who's read a small (very, only about 10 pages) chunk of it and has feedback to offer. So we'll see how that goes. It'll be awkward, for sure. Always tough to bare your throat this way, especially with a colleague that you know will be blunt. I'm hoping it primes the pump and I can return to the writing with more momentum. I'm vastly sick of working on this book. If I didn't feel compelled to finish it, I'd love to drop it. That made no sense.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:09 PM, Anonymous oneavid said…

    I promise to leave more comments.
    It's just that I hate proving I'm not a robot everytime.
    Nice to hear from you, though.

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    HA!!! Great to see you here! Yeah, I HATE that robot thing. But pretty much all blog domains are doing that, and some are worse. Even more hoops to jump through. Sorry for the annoyance.

    But yeah, yeehaw that you're here!! Hope all is going well in your neck of the woods.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home