Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Seriously, What is the Rule on Socks Now?


I'm probably WAY behind on this, but the other day when I worked out at the gym, I saw one of the personal trainers there, a guy in his twenties, wearing black socks with his athletic shoes. Black.

This is unacceptable. People wear white socks with their tennis shoes, right? I was baffled. His black socks were Nike brand, and the white swoosh mark on the ankle displayed to the world that they were not black dress socks. Not even close to the fuzzy black orlon socks worn by great uncle Ned, along with the plaid shorts that rode up into his jackhammer region.

My thin slice of fashion knowledge curled up like a flauta and shot out the window, never to be seen again.

Scott's theory about all this: WE wore white socks with tennis shoes because our dads wore black socks with theirs. And probably their parents wore white socks, etc.

Is this it? Is it all a do-the-opposite-of-that-lame-generation-above-us? I am so lost.

8 Comments:

  • At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Jackie O. said…

    No, you are quite right, Candy. The whole black-socks-with-white-gym-shoes ensemble is a bucket of deep-fried wack with a side of crackslaw and mashed WTF. It puts the "faux" in faux pas.

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    You are a master of words, Jackie O. I love you and am going to make you have my baby.

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Scott P said…

    Lawdy Jackie, that was funny.

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, I have to admit that the current "rules" of sock fashion are a mystery to me, too. But I have solved this to my satisfaction by wearing white crew socks with EVERYthing -- even a suit, if I had one -- just like I did back in the sixth grade. "Live free or die." hehehehe --Stevie

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger E. said…

    If your athletic shoes are black (or even grey or some other dark color), then go ahead and wear black socks. But never, ever wear black socks with white shoes. (Unless you're Janelle Monae. She could probably pull it off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwnefUaKCbc)

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger Chilebrown said…

    Were those Scotts legs? You know in Berkeley they were Birkenstocks with socks. Two sins against nature.

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Nope, those aren't Scott's legs. I stole that photo on the intertubes. Berkeley: always the cutting edge of fashion. :)

    Great to hear from you, Chilebrown!

     
  • At 2:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    In the UK socks are socks, there are no laws and to get prissy over a man in a different coloured sock just seems like you've got nothing else to worry about. Is it bothering him? I doubt it very much, he just put on the socks he wanted to. There will come a day when a man can just be a man and stop having to conform to what women want all the time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home