Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Monday, March 01, 2010

If You're the Praying Kind...


I would really appreciate prayer for my mom and dad. So far, in this past year of Dad being in the nursing home, it's been tough in many ways. But overall, compared to what some of the residents are going through, Dad has had it easy. ("Easy" has become a completely relative notion.) He has not been agitated more than a couple minutes at a time, and has been pretty calm.

Today, agitation set in, big time. Mom told me that out of nowhere, Dad thinks he needs to get his shoes and uniform ready, and needs some money, because the bus is coming to pick him up to take him for Army service. He is panicky and upset, and nothing has soothed him. My sister was there with Mom this evening, at Shiny Meadows, trying to talk him back to the present.

My sister emailed:
I showed him a picture of him and Mom (with him in his Army uniform). I pointed out that he was wearing his uniform and had already done his time in the Army. I asked him how long he was in the Army and he didn't remember. Mom and I did, however and we told him over and over he had already been in the service. Mom finally told him the Army was not that desperate yet - they did not take 91 year old men. He said "Am I 91 - are you sure?"

And on it went. He also thinks the son of old friends has been killed. (This did not happen, even way back.) With the aid of some Ativan, they did get him to settle down slightly.

There is a vicious storm going on inside his head, and we are all powerless. God isn't. Please, if you will, keep Dad (and Mom) in your prayers.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Ana said…

    He and your mom and you and your siblings are in my prayers.

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger laurazim said…

    Count on my prayers. Even when they are "old and decrepit," as my Pop used to describe himself, it's so hard to see our dear parents suffer. I will pray for comfort in your hearts, and for peace in his. There is a balm in Gilead, after all.....my the Lord of all comforts bring His balm to you.

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger MamaMidwife said…

    Just so happens I *am* the praying type.

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Citlali said…

    Of course. BIG hugs for all of you. Much love, Citlali = ]

     
  • At 11:27 PM, Anonymous JWebb said…

    I am "the praying kind," and am lifting your dear Dad and Mom (and all your siblings) up to the Almighty God of the Universe. I only ask for prayers right back. I'm researching Colorado nursing homes for Mother Webb. Our family was planning on relocation to Texas for her final days, but time has run out. I cannot do this anymore and have to face stark realities while I/we still have whatever sanity remains. Tough decisions ahead. Thanks.

    Love,
    Bubbathan

     
  • At 11:30 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    You're in our prayers every day, JWebb. I'm disappointed that the Texas move isn't going to happen. Maybe it will later?

    Stark realities. You said a mouthful. They all seem stark these days, don't they?

    Love you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home