Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Delicious Tidbit

My sanity is at stake with my workload and travel-back-and-forth-to-Indiana schedule these days. I am neglecting my little space here. I'll be back soon, but right now I have to share with you this paragraph I got today from the man who has been my best friend on the planet since 1986. As is usually the case when my sanity is being javelined, he suddenly shows up with something that makes me laugh:


When I was a kid living in our old house up the road here, for lack of anything better to do I once rolled a big rock out to the end of the driveway, lovingly painted it white, and then in my best lettering, I painstakingly painted SHADY REST upon it with black paint. Upon seeing this my mom said with great hilariarity and not a little sarcarsm, "It sounds like a damned LOONEY BIN." I had to admit that she had a good point so I hastily painted it all-white again. And so ended my aspirations for being high class...and so much more. A great metaphor I think for all my life's follies. Using white-out to correct the mistakes.

7 Comments:

  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger Citlali said…

    Brilliant. What a cool story. lol. I too believe in white-out.

    Just remember to breathe, eh? hugs. = ]

     
  • At 6:59 AM, Blogger Pluto said…

    It's quite common in the UK for people to give their homes names. One example is for travellers to call their homes "Dun Roamin" (Just say it and you'll understand.)This has given rise to a number of jokes. When I retire from teaching I may call my house Dun Shoutin or Dun Rantin:)

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Great idea, Pluto! I'll have to think of a name for my house for when *I* retire from teaching!

    Dun Gradin
    Dun Banginmyhead
    Dun Withingrates
    Dun Withtherapy

    come to mind. :)

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Blogger Pluto said…

    Hopefully it wont be "Dun Bloggin" :)

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll be spending most of my time at our local: the Dew Drop Inn.

     
  • At 4:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I brought home Chinese carryout last night from the Wing On Inn. Furthermore, wasn't the Shady Rest also the name for the hotel on "Petticoat Junction"? And why am I thinking about this?? :)

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger E. said…

    If I had to name my house, I think it'd have to be something along the lines of "Halfassed Groves" or "Good Enuf Glenn." Luckily, we lower middle class folk don't have that problem

    "Shady Rest" is heelarious. Sounds like a cemetery to me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home