Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Longing for the Homeland


And how could you not long for a utopian land like this one?

This is my favorite page from one of my all time favorite books, Boring Postcards. It's filled with horrible postcards like this one, the kind you used to get for free at chintzy motels along the interstates of America's heartland. I would write on postcards like this and send them to kids I went to grade school with, bearing messages like "We may never come home." and "We stayed at this motel. Its milk is weird." And I would get home and see them at school before they even got their bent-up postcards in the mail.

My friends who work at the bookstore that I used to addictively go to back home, before I got even more woefully addicted to Amazon, would often know exactly which new arrival on the shelf was going to float my boat. Treasures I never would've found if not for their willingness to keep an eye out for such things. Thank you, Mr. Bill, and Norma, and Tanya. Because of you, I now live in a nice cardboard box. Lined with many books.


4 Comments:

  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Norma said…

    I'm going to put a Candy's Staff Pick Sticker on this book when I go to work this weekend. When you come back to visit, you should hear Mr. Bill read American Psycho at storytime.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Norma, I think Bill is always reading American Psycho in his mind. It's always storytime in there.
    When he's not making Jon-Benet jokes.

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That postcard doesn't do justice to your home state.

     
  • At 9:09 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Thank you, Futuresis.

    Scott, remind me to, oh, what was it? Oh yes, tape Brillo pads inside all your underwear.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home