Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Classes Start Tomorrow. What's the Word of the Day?



DREAD.

It's a tricky word, because you can get so much from it.

"Read" for example. The joy of reading all those papers and poems my students will turn in.

"Red." My face. And the way I'll be fanning away the usual stage fright that never goes away, but is especially flaming on the first day.

"Rad." This school year will be totally rad, dude. Srsly.

"Dead." If we're down to basic, I'm glad I'm not, and even a job that has begun to feel like a gut punch is better than being dead. See how optimistic I can be?

Biggest dread isn't the teaching; it's the re-entering a poisonous zone where I have to see the colleague who has, as far as I can tell, disowned me. I'll need the kevlar big-girl pants tomorrow.

One more: "Dad." My dad was outnumbered a lot in his life. People were vicious to him. He got threats on the phone back before caller I.D. forced the spineless to opt for anonymous internet comments. He knew what he stood for. He stood up. He kept standing. He didn't cave. Neither will I.


4 Comments:

  • At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are not alone, my friend!! Your dad raised an incredible woman, and you are an invaluable educator.

    What you *really* need is Target's full line of Justin Bieber school supplies. Notebooks, folders, binders, rulers, planners, pencils, backpack and lunchbox with thermos!! :D See? Then you'd have something to throw at the students who don't do well with their initial Interpretive Dance.....

    lz

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Thank you. You are such a great friend.

    xoxoxo

     
  • At 9:44 PM, Anonymous oneavid said…

    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.
    Sai Baba

    It’s Opening Day in the English Department! Think of those who want to learn!
    My daughter started college last week. And she loves to write and draw. If she only could be lucky enough to have a teacher as dedicated as you!

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Good advice, oneavid. I will take it to heart. Thanks for posting it.

    Would LOVE to have your daughter in class!!

    And you'd be surprised by how many students I get who do NOT want to learn.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home