Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Substance

A year ago today, my brother-in-law was killed by a very, very careless driver.

In the last year, my sister has taught everyone who knows her what it means to have substance. The kind that keeps you going when your world has dissolved and collapsed into foam where there used to be firm ground.

My sister has not only kept going. She has kept loving those around her, and she has appreciated life, full blast. She has moved forward one stunningly difficult day at a time while still somehow providing the same high levels of generosity and kindness and warmth that she's always given. She has helped her kids travel through the odd new days of absence, and they have helped her. She has taken on such a burden of pain and carried it in a way I could never imagine myself doing. I've watched her when she thinks I'm not watching her, and I've learned about substance.

10 Comments:

  • At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Scott P said…

    Your sister is a remarkable woman.

     
  • At 11:27 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Yep, big time.

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Poola said…

    What a wonderful tribute to your sister. I'm glad to hear that she is finding ways to work through this.
    Many folks have substance of different types and yours is observing and documenting what you see in ways that are creative, heart felt and a joy to read.

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Anonymous jenni said…

    My heart broke last summer when it happened, and I have all sorts of admiration for your sister and her substance. Your writing about the tragedy was so raw and real and beautiful...I'll never forget it. I am thankful that she has been able to find the strength that she needs, and has shared it so generously.

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger laurazim said…

    Going to have to work up to this one, but I have a feeling God has led me to reading about this. I've friends who lost their 7-week-old baby right after my little one was born in November, and what you just wrote about your sister can be said of this couple as well. I'll give you more feedback when I've read more about your loss......Thanks ever for being real.

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Poola, thank you for writing that. It means a lot to me.

    Yes, she is finding ways to keep going. She's amazing.

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Jenni, she's had lots of people praying for her, and she tells me that's what's gotten her through.

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Laurazim, that's horrible. I can't imagine their grief. I guess we can never imagine anyone else's grief terribly accurately.

    I never run out of people in pain to pray for. So sorry about your friends.

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Ana said…

    A year already. I remember how you ached for her and all of us ached for all of you.

     
  • At 2:56 AM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Ana, I still can't believe it's been a year. Time flies even when things suck.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home