Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Tribe of Tiger


Hankie had a lot of new territory to explore when we moved to Phoenix. The desert was a welcome mystery for him.

Here he is, looking very much like a member of the tiger family, and filled with determination about letting nothing stand in the way of his safari.

Notice his purple leash and harness. I started taking him outside with that years and years ago. At first he protested. Flopped himself down onto the ground like a collapsed paratrooper. Like a boneless chicken. No way. No way am I wearing this. I was like the uncool mom trying to get him to wear a dickey for his class picture.

Then he finally got bored with the melodrama and could not resist the charms of the weeds and sticks and butterflies and the maddening urine of the interlopers who had passed by. Very quickly he fell in love with the purple leash. I could shake it gently next to him when he was in a deep sleep and he'd wake up and hurry to the door.

During my last 4 years in Illinois, I had a house on a slowly-traveled side street, and when the weather was warm, occasionally someone would drive by with their windows down and look at us in the front yard. The crazy chick and her cat on a leash. And their laughter would pour out of the car. Was it with us or at us? Neither of us gave a shit. We were relishing life.

10 Comments:

  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger Carin said…

    To quote Spongebob (which I do often) They weren't laughing AT you, they were laughing NEXT to you.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Domhan said…

    I am so, so saddened to hear about Hankie. What a great fellow, and I'm sure he's furiously biting his Sharkey, sniffing the weeds, and having terrific litterbox digging sessions where he is now.

    I've heard it said that animals simply are not as attached to their earthly bodies as we humans are, and that's what comforted me when we had to have Gracie put to sleep. I had to keep telling myself that we freed her. Yes, it's heart-wrenching. It's one of the hardest...hmm...no, THE hardest decision I've had to make. And I've made some mighty hard decisions.

    I've had nothing to say for months, dear Candy! Nothing I could possibly say seemed worthy. I've stopped by your posts (what abso-f**king-lutely fabulous writing) and cried right along with everyone else. My thoughts have always been with you, Scott, your family, and Hankie.

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    HA! One day I must watch Spongebob. I've only seen one episode.

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Domhan, I'm really glad you knew Hankie and can remember his favorite habits.

    I almost buried his Sharkey with him. And I had totally forgotten about his crazed digging sessions in that box! It was like he had remembered leaving the Hope Diamond under there.
    Or some really special poop.

    I got the idea for using a harness on Hankie from you and Gracie. Remember when I'd laugh at her because she looked like a paratrooper in that thing? No, a mix of a paratrooper and a fat girl in a bra that rides up in the back? She was so impossibly cuddly.

     
  • At 4:07 PM, Blogger JBelle said…

    I love this 'On The Hunt' picture. He must have loved to move to Phoenix where his family became complete.

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger Jerry said…

    Life is best in the early years, before everything starts going away.

    As we pass 50, we witness the death of friends and others that we love.

    Life is painful for anyone over 40. God I wish I was 20 again--stupid and happy.

    Everything I loved or loved is leaving.

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Blogger maggie katzen said…

    I'm not sure they make a harness big enough for my kitties. anyway, you might enjoy the World's Heaviest Harness pictures

     
  • At 1:31 AM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    JBelle, we loved the "hunter" look in his eye, too. But we also were caught off guard by how it looks like he only has 3 legs!

    Hankie had it really good when he got a complete family. Scott showered attention on him in the early morning, and I had the late shift.

     
  • At 1:32 AM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Jerry, I have to say that my life has been happier after 40 (so far) than before it. I was just too stupid and self-destructive when I was younger. I didn't know how to appreciate anything.

    As the saying goes, youth is wasted on the young.

     
  • At 1:35 AM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Maggie, those are hilarious. It's like the walk of shame or something.

    By the way, I had to get Hankie's harness in the "extra small dog" section. I never told him.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home