Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Monday, October 09, 2006

WAIT! How Could I Have Forgotten This One?

The very first semester I taught at a university, as a grad student, my freshman composition students were asked to write a profile of a person who had profoundly affected their lives.

A kid from small town Indiana (like me) wrote about his uncle, the taxidermist.

The stand-out sentence:

"My uncle says that it's the opposite of what people think: it is much easier to mount a large animal like a moose, than a small one like a squirrel or raccoon."

7 Comments:

  • At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow. That's beautiful. I can't wait to become a TA.

    ~ Jessant

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heh.

    That's it. Just... heh.

     
  • At 7:42 AM, Blogger prairie biker said…

    mebbe so, but I find the challenges of mounting a small animal infinitely more satisfying.

     
  • At 3:21 AM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Jessant, Run as fast as you can in the other direction. Work as a ditch digger.

    PB, remind me never to let you babysit my gerbil.

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well. You learn something new every day. And some of the things you learn give you one of those dumb-ass cooky grins.

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What most people don't know is that taxidermists use fake skulls. They buy plastic ones online because they can't use real bone. So they have to stretch the hide over the plastic skulls. So the bigger skulls like Moose are easier to mount than the small ones like squirrels because.....

    they can use more vasoline.

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    One avid: I have one thing to say...

    "AAAAAAAAGHHHHHH!!!!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home