Candy Rant

"I killed a rat with a stick once."

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Bah Humbuggery

Christmas.

I don't mind it. I don't do it up like crazy or get all freaked out. I just go into the sticky yule labyrinth like everybody else, trying to get things done.

Every year in mid-November I visit this sweet little fantasy in my head: Candy will get caught up on all non-Christmas things early. The goal being, come the second week of December, to have a nice clean house, final grades for the semester turned in, Christmas shopping done. That way, I can put on one of my many Christmas CDs, Johnnny Mathis, Carpenters, Dan Fogelberg, and my all-time favorite, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and sit on the living room floor to wrap all my gifts. Peacefully. Unhurriedly.

It is not happening this year. In fact, it has never once happened.

My house is still a mess, I still have presents to buy, and when I wrapped the ones I have, I generously included some cat hair under the scotch tape. I have a blow-zillion things to do before I do the holiday traveling, most of which will not get done.

But I don't care. I'm smack-dab in the middle of one of the best times of my life. My parents are still living, 88 and 84, (those are their ages, not their names) and I'm not dying of anything that I know of, and I get to spend my first Christmas with the best fiance in the free world. Last year he came here on the 26th. It's just not the same as Christmas Day.

Someone help Candy. She is mellowing. Temporarily.

Once the holidays are over, I'll despise everything again. More. So there.

I mean it.

Quit looking at me.

Merry Christmas.

9 Comments:

  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger mgm said…

    Oh, Candy, even you are filled with the holiday spirits. so am i!

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    No I'm not! How dare you accuse me of something so heinous!!!!

    I'm turning into a Hallmark cliche. A wussie. One giant human s'more.

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger mgm said…

    Mmm . . . s'mores . . .

    And, Candy, we still love you even if you are turning into a sugary, sappy mess. We know that, once New Year has come and gone, you'll be back to your cynical, sour self. And we'll still love ya! Take that!!

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    AGHGHHHHH! Quit that Hallmark talk!!!!!! I'll have to break some glass.

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, Candy, I've taken a great satisfaction now in my middle years (upper-range, yes) in just ignoring the whole damn thing. I mean...the cards, the presents, the "Little Drummer Boy," fruit punch (wassail indeed!), Old Navy commercials, Santa's Little Helper commercials where the Helpers wear teddies (OK, kinda like those), and endless showing of "A Christmas Carol--I mean the one with Patrick Stewart, when everyone know the Alex Guiness version is the only one worth watching. OK--space is limited, I know, but take it from one who has observed many a Xmas--fly to Jamaica and get some rays. The sand and sun will remind you of Biblica times.
    (BTW, Merry Christmas to you and all the Candy bloggers),
    Tony

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I thought the cat fur was a nice touch.

    Merry Christmas, all!

     
  • At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Humbuggery" sounds very. . .suggestive. Fleece Notmedad!

     
  • At 5:01 AM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    Tony, I'll meet you in Jamaica, mahn. We can make hot toddies on the beach. And sing old magical songs like the Singing Nuns "Dominic."

     
  • At 5:02 AM, Blogger Candy Rant said…

    JWebb,
    You're right, it does sound suggestive. And veddy British.

    Fleas-on-a-dog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home